Tuesday, January 23, 2007

moments of irony

So I've joined the Jewish Community Center (a gym) here and yesterday I was struck by how funny life can be. As I was running around the track at the JCC, wearing an old mission trip shirt (the one with the California license plate) that has a verse from Hebrews on it, and listening to Bad Religion (they sing at the pace I run, works out well), I just had to laugh. None of that goes together...Jewish community center, new testament verse, band that...well, their name says it all. So as I ran, my mind wandered all over the place (when the track is only a 16th of a mile long and I lost count at about lap 5...you just give up counting and run for awhile) and irony kept striking...like how 8th grade was the worst year of all time, and now that's what I teach for most of the day...and how I, miss conservative goody-two-shoes, really enjoy some crazy music that maybe I shouldn't enjoy (like bad religion)...and how I really thought that I didn't want to get married until I was oldish (ie 28) and then changed my mind completely and thought I would get married like 2 years ago and now find myself very very single, but pretty ok with that again...and how I always think I'm a little jealous of those girls who always have a date, but then I go on a date (2 actually, wow) and realize that dating is not fun, just mostly awkward and nervewracking...and I could keep going on and on, but I won't. You know, I don't even know that these things really are exactly irony, but they strike me as funny, and I like them. I guess that I enjoy the contradictory parts of life...the parts you don't expect and which don't go according to "plan" (I must admit that I tend to throw a fit when my plans don't go like I wanted them too)...and you know, all this just goes to remind me that my glass is half-full again...yay! These ironic things were in fact making me chuckle as I ran...and you know that had to just be so weird for the people on the treadmills and bikes that I kept unintentionally making eye-contact with everytime I passed them...hey look, there's that girl that's run around the track like 30 times and she keeps smiling this really weird smile, wonder what's wrong with her...yeah, weird. Oh well, who cares, I do not go to the gym to look cool anyway. so there! ha ha : ) I hope you are enjoying life friends, truly I do! I hope I'm not the only one laughing while she runs too...come on, you know you want to look like a total weirdo too!

1 comment:

emily harrison said...

I was sitting outsidde at a strip mall in front of a nail salon. it was 10 at night so they were closed. it was all dark in there except for a light shining on a golden cat statue on the front counter. one are of the statue was motorized to wave back and forth. when i looked up and saw it it startled me, but as i watched it was "waving" to the exact beat of the song that was on the hifi's. i cracked up. i sat outside and laughed for a good while. yeah, people passed. and probably wondered why i was staring into the nail salon and laughing, but they were really missing the show.

life is good, sarah.

i miss you today.