Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Check out Baby Jesus' Hat!



















This is from a little nativity that my mom brought back from Peru. Note the llama and the hats...they are fan-freakin-tastic! Who knew that little Baby Jesus was outfitted in a supafly snow hat?
Happy 2007 friends! I hope that your year has started well. I must say, I'm really REALLY happy that it's a new year. On Sunday I woke up thinking that I was so glad that 2006 was over because it stunk big-time (very positive thoughts, eh)...but then I started to look at pictures from the year and realized that something pretty amazing happened in 2006. Somehow, without realizing that it was happening, my smile became real again. Sounds ridiculous maybe...but most of you probably know that my smile was broken in 2005. Too much heartache made the joy in me hide away...and 2006 started in a continuation of the awfulness of 2005. In pictures from a trip to cloudcroft with Em and Graham, my smile isn't real at all. My mouth is turned up, but the screaming on the inside is written all over the outside. That trip was early in the year...January I think. In Africa, my smile starts to be genuine again...it's not a big smile, but it's real. Over the year, my smile becomes bigger and bigger - by the end, there are pictures of me laughing in which all of me is laughing...my mouth, my eyes, my body language says JOY again. Wow, how could I have missed that God was fixing my smile all along? I don't know...but I do know that my God is incredible and despite all the hard junk of the year, I can't cease to thank him for fixing my smile, and telling my heart that he loves me over and over and over again. And thanks to all of you for loving me too!
And now, on a funny note, just thought I'd share what I just witnessed...I'm currently sitting on a couch in my favorite Satellite (coffee shop) and it's pretty busy today. All the snow has meant major increases in coffee shop patrons, so it's often hard to find a chair. I got lucky with a seat on a couch(!) today. I'm across from another couch which has been taken up with 3 people for the last hour or so. They just got up to go and a pretty young looking couple (high schoolish) came in to take their spots. Apparently they'd been eyein' this couch for awhile as the guy said "Ah ha, now it's ours!" as he came in for the kill...and by "Ah ha, now it's ours", I mean that this guy said in the best action movie narrator voice "Ah HA, No-ow it's OURS" and proceeded to scurry in with his cute girlfriend. Ok, maybe it's not as funny in the telling...but it cracked me up...and if that didn't make you laugh, maybe the mental picture of me flailing around on the snow today will. I walked to the post office and nearly ate it as I crossed the street. I stepped where I thought was just snow, only to discover that the snow covered ice that made me slide a good foot or so, wildly waving my arms around in an attempt not to fall. Made me laugh out loud, which is always good, especially when somebody else is walking by, trying not to laugh at me falling down. Alas, too bad you're all not here enjoying the snow and the funny high school kids with me! : )

2 comments:

emily harrison said...

I laughed.
I would have laughed then too. people just don't know when they're being funny sometimes. I only wish that he would have yelled it from across the room before maing a running dive for the cushions.
only to have someone unknowingly take his spot whil he was in mid air....

sarita said...

INdeed Emily, that would have made a hilarious moment even funnier...alas, he didn't think of it. It would have fit though, that whole running, diving, flying through the air for seats.