Lots of posts lately...guess being in Lubbock must make me feel like sharing my thoughts...ha, or not.
So today I went to 9:30 for church and then picked a random lifestyle group to go to which turned out to be really great as far as the discussion we had. The first question that our leader asked us to think about was "Think of 2 or 3 accomplisments you'd like to have done by the time you die...accomplishments or character traits" and the second was "How are you working to make those happen?"
It was so interesting to hear what the others had to say and I am still thinking about what I have to say....you know, we think about the future all the time, but I don't ever really think that far in the future...and I rarely think in terms of how I'm going to accomplish what I want. Something that suprised me was that almost every single guy in the group said that he wanted to be a good father and husband - which is great, don't misunderstand me, I think that's so admirable - but for some reason i just didn't think that guys (in general) think about that kind of stuff. I was very impressed. I had to laugh though - being a good wife and mother never even occurred to me when I was trying to think of answers to Brandon's questions...ay ay ay.
So, here are some of my goals, all with the far off deadline of death:
* To be an outstanding teacher...the kind that you still remember from like3rd grade who really changed your life.... I am trying to accomplish that by 1) starting my first job(!) and 2) recognizing that I need to continuously learn from other people around me, from books, from conferences, etc.
* To see the world (the WHOLE thing!).... I am trying to accomplish that by making the most of the opportunities for travel that come my way.
* To be financially stable, in such a way that I don't have to worry about money.... I am about to start getting real paychecks and I need to commit to a budget...gross, but I gotta do it.
* To know how to talk to people...to be a better friend to people.... This is a tough one, sometimes I think God forgot to install the normal social know-how in me...but I am working on it by watching how people interact, by trying to venture outside my comfort zone and talk to people
*and my favorite goal: To still be laughing when I die... Sounds a little odd, but I want to be overflowing with joy as I'm dying... I don't want to be one of those older folks who are so sober, embittered with life - I want to still be laughing to tears and often! So how do I accomplish this? I think that I continuously remind myself who the inventor of joy is (that would be God), remembering that he supplies joy no matter the circumstances in life.
So what are your goals? And just how are you going to accomplish them?
And to end this, the verse we read today that was so...woah..."You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3
No comments:
Post a Comment