Monday, July 31, 2006

The Impact of TV on the Youth of Today

Ha, doesn't that title sound important!
So today I turned on the tube while I enjoyed my morning dose of caffeine and experienced the full range of emotions in the mere span of 30 minutes...it was wild! What a way to jumpstart the day (not that I recommend starting your day with tv). The View was on whatever channel I turned it on to, and since I'd never actually watched that show, I thought I'd take in a little View. First thing I see is a "report" on a new type of liposuction called Mini Lipo (or something like that). Keeping in mind that I'm still sort of in that just-woke-up zone, in the hot-coffee-is-SOOO-good zone, I'm watching this report on mini lipo with incredulity (is that a word?) that just keeps growing and growing...they're interviewing a doctor who does this - although interviewing should be used loosely as they barely let him talk at all after about 30 seconds of this report - and then showing the audience the ladies who had this done. First lady up had liposuction on her ankles...yes, you read that right, on her ANKLES. She was worried that she had cankles... I thought that Bawbawa Walters had it right when she interrupted the doctor and this lovely cankle-obsessed woman to ask if this procedure was not just a little frivolous...ludicrous is what I'd call it! The woman's ankles didn't even look any different I didn't think. So there was the first emotion of the day: incredibly incredulous (whew, what a mouthful)...moving on, next comes a commercial on Alzheimers that made me cry...not just tear up, actually cry. That's amazingly sappy I know, but this commercial was so well done! You just wanted the little old guy to remember things...sad news. Ok, so we have incredulous to sad. Next comes the View back on with a report on a new horror flick called The Descent (I think). They showed a clip of the movie and I jumped about 3 feet when the bad guys came into view...which is saying a lot as I was sitting in my usual curled-up-in-a-corner-of-a-big-fluffy-chair posture (hard to jump when you're curled up). We all know that I'm a big wienie (how DO you spell that?) when it comes to scary movies, but still, this is a clip of a scary movie, being shown on morning television...at least nobody was there to see me nearly toss the coffee across the white carpet at the bad guys' appearance! So, from incredulous to sad to afraid...next up is a commercial about the weather guy on one of the news stations here...a commercial which I'm sad to say (for his sake) reminded me so poignantly of Brick, off Anchorman. Which made me relive some of the more wonderful Anchorman scenes, which led to laughing out loud. Another moment in which I was glad nobody was watching, as laughing out loud at apparently...uh...nothing...is not always appreciated by bystanders. Fortunately I don't care too much what the bystanders think, because I often laugh out loud at something that's occurring in my brain only. The point is however, that I made it from amazed to teary to frightened to laughing out loud between the long hours of 10:29 - 10:50 am...or so. Whew, what a morning : ).

No comments: