Wednesday, October 25, 2006

patience smatience

So I've been wondering a few things lately. First thought that's taking up entirely too much room rattling around my brain: "Love covers over a multitude of sins"…so what exactly does that mean? How do you live that out? As one who is generally not easily offended or angered, am I covering over people's offenses towards me, or am I just on the easygoing side of not-caring? And am I really covering (or not noticing), or am I just avoiding the confrontation? What does covering mean anyway? Does it mean that I don't care, or that I love you anyway, or that I confront with the intention of clearing the air, or that I forget the offense (at least on the outside)? And in relationships with boys in particular, when do you stop covering over offenses and say "see ya"? I get the feeling that people, especially women, feel like they are being walked over if they let things go…but is that right? Are we being walked over (letting ourselves be walked over), or are we loving like we should? I don't know…
And another brain rattler, when do you decide that God isn't asking you to be patient and wait, but is saying "No."? Or maybe the question should be HOW do you know…? In some past experiences the "No" has been almost audible, it's been so clear. In the current experience, I hear no NO…but am I just hearing what I want to hear(or not hearing what I don't want to hear really)? I hate the waiting and the patience learning, and I wonder if I ought to give up so to speak. But what if God is really teaching my heart patience and perseverance, rather than saying "No"? When do you stop praying for something? God says to persevere, and it's not because He doesn't hear...but I often wonder how long I should persevere…what if what I'm asking is just not in His will, and yet I continue on asking and thinking almost constantly about the request? Oh, for a little telegram that says "Do this" and "Don't do this"… instead God says listen, wait, hear my voice…and I say Please, I want to, but I don't know how.

2 comments:

emily harrison said...

this is stuff i've mulled over too, as of late.
this is what i've settled on for now - until a different circumstance requires I give it more thought.
I think that the answer to the prayer isn't the point. yeah - it's sort of the point, but the fact that you are getting to talk with the God of the universe about things that concern you and your own heart and situation is more the point. the actual relationship being built on the premise of you sharing your concerns with Him takes precident over the vending machine type answers we get.
I think that perseverence leads to you talking to Him MORE and MORE over this request until you relaize that the request isn't the issue.
This isn't making as much sense as it did in my head.
basically. God knows what you ask before the thought is even complete - so why even begin to ask?
because it is you recognizing that it is Him who is in control.
so why keep asking?
because you're building a deeper and richer relationship the more you talk to Him.
when do you stop?
as you talk more about it, He will change your heart and mind gradually. or He will give a clear NO. or a clear yes.
the first one is the hardest. but Him requiring you to continue to talk about it is how He keeps your heart in check with the right motive for presenting the request.

sarita said...

I like your thoughts Emily Kay...it's good to be reminded that the asking isn't just asking, but it's communicating with the God of the universe...wow.