Helloooo friends, Happy V day! It is snowing like crazy so school was cancelled...again...what a crazy winter it's been. So I thought about posting my usual take on valentine's day - or singles appreciation day, whichever it is for you (which is the 'why be bitter and weird, this is just a day to show people you love that you love them a little bit more obviously' soapbox)...but in a conversation with my sister, I have realized something. Maybe people tend to be weird and bitter about Feb. 14 because they didn't grow up like I did...hmmm. That sounds a bit high-horse, doesn't it! But hear me out, a few days ago my sister and I were talking about plans for today and I mentioned that I like valentine's day, despite having been without a 'valentine' for all but 2 v days of my life. I like it because I like to make things and give them to people...or buy them things that make me think of them, and v day is a good excuse...I think that I'm not all that fantastic about expressing my appreciation for friends and family, so I make the all out effort on v day...and of course I really like chocolate, and those little chalk hearts too (maybe I am the only one in the world who likes those, but mmm, they are a straight shot of suuugaaaa! ha ha). Hannah (the sister) said that she was telling Bryce (boyfriend) about getting our parents a valentines day gift, and he was totally suprised...like "you get your parents a valentine present? why would you get something for anyone besides your valentine?" So that makes me think, oh, perhaps people grew up with valentine's day as a holiday only for those with valentines...which would explain the anger, annoyance, bitterness, etc. about the day. So I guess I was amazingly fortunate to grow up in a household where we all get each other stuff, just little things, sometimes we just write notes to each other, but it's always been a day about expressing love to everybody that we love, not just a boyfriend or girlfriend or even husband/wife. My parents always included us in their celebration...like one year that I remember in particular, they took us up the tram (a little car that goes up to the top of my mountain on wires...) to a super swank restaurant on the top of the mountain and we had a nice dinner and they gave us little plastic hearts full of the chalk heart candy. Sounds goofy, but I guess I thought that was how everybody celebrated v day... We always knew my parents were crazy about each other, so it never occurred to me that v day could have been a day just about them...I mean, they would take a weekend here or there and leave us with a babysitter, and their anniversary is definitely just about them...so I guess they made their own times for just them, so valentine's day could be about all of us, as a family, loving each other.
So I guess I am saying that I've realized that maybe my perspective on the day isn't the typical one, especially for a single 24 yr old girl.... I mean, sure, valentine's day is definitely exploited by hallmark and stores, but really, what's wrong with a red heart filled with chocolate? or roses? just because they're over done doesn't mean they are crummy. And the day doesn't have to be just about romantic love...good grief, I definitely am sans-valentine this year, but it's ok because I know I'm well loved. And my mom and dad gave me money for new shoes...yesssss! Ha ha, ok, but really, of course I want to be loved by a boy and I really really like to be given flowers, but the day is not c-rap because I don't have those...instead I have a family who loves me no matter what kind of mistakes I make, and friends who laugh with me and cry with me and cause me to spill hot beverages on myself frequently, and I have a God who will never, ever, ever stop loving me. So, Happy Valentine's Day, enjoy loving somebody else more obviously than normal today : ). And thanks, by the way, to all of you friends who have loved me so well!
2 comments:
nice brandi, very nice. you know that I am a fan of the all-black attire...especially on v-day! my attire was exciting - pajamas (because it was a snow day)...and then jeans and hiking boots because I had to help my brother move and trek through the snow. Festive, eh : )
Good thoughts Sarah. Thanks for the honesty.
Post a Comment