Friday, February 16, 2007

musica

Last weekend I went to a Shane & Shane concert which was a-mazing. I'd forgotten how incredibly the Shanes' voices complement each other...such musicians. I so enjoyed the total un-rockstar way that they present themselves too - refreshing. The best part of the night though, was that I left thinking about God, rather than thinking just about the music or about the Shanes. They just sing so from their hearts and they encourage you to sing along and their lyrics lead your thoughts to the throne, so to speak. Wow, how rare to come away from a concert saying "What an incredible God I love, and who loves me" rather than the usual admiration for the rockstars.
I also discovered another guy that I really enjoyed - Phil Wickham. Most of you know my tendency to dismiss christian music...as cheesy and typical and...I don't know what the right word is...annoying maybe. However, some of you Texans did a good job of introducing me to some really great worship music. So, here's one to add to that pile of "really great worship music". You've gotta check out Phil Wickham. His voice is kinda vibrato-y and he reminds me of somebody mainstream sort of...I haven't been able to think who. Despite reminding me of a mainstream person though, his music is pretty original, and his lyrics are beautiful. Here's an example (the song is "I will wait for you"):
I will wait for You there
Down on my knees where I met You
Give You all of my cares
Find a grace to hold onto now
I’m calling for You

I will wait for You there
far from the world and it’s violence
It left broken and bare
I need to hear You in the silence now
I’m calling for You

And with outstretched arms
I will sing out melodies
And my beating heart
Will pour out a symphony
Hallelujah’s in the morning
Hallelujah’s in the night
I will wait for you as long as I have life

I will wait for You there
Down On my knees where I met you
Cause life is a war fought with tears
But You are the strength I hold onto now
I’m calling for you

No comments: