Well, this last week was exceptionally good for music...
I went to a show with my little sister on Tuesday and heard a couple local bands as well as Vedera (used to be Veda) and Mute Math. Both muy increible! (didn't misspell, that's spanish)
Vedera is a little band from Kansas (I think) and has a girl for a singer...she also plays guitar and piano...and wow, can she sing! I loved it! They really won over the crowd too. I'm not sure where you can get their cd, but everyone who likes to hear people sing with everything they've got, go find Vedera's record! I am a dancer at concerts and Vedera is definitely a band that I couldn't stand still for...!
Mute Math was, of course, fantastic. Even better than the first time I saw them (Island Party at A&M) because this was a much smaller venue and I was almost close enough to have to avoid the sweat pouring off of them...ha, that's gross! But really, it was great to see them in a small place. They play with an incredible amount of energy (hence the sweat) and lots of improvisation... they have a full length cd now so they played lots of new songs and all were great. I really can't say enough good about Mute Math - they're just incredible and really REALLY great to see live. There were some serious fans there who had made shirts complete with entire song lyrics written out as well as a vocabulary guide for Mute Math's unusual instruments - like the keytar (keyboard played like a guitar, think 80's madness) and the atari (never really figured out what that was, but it makes some cool sounds)....definitely some funny fans, very helpful to the crowd : )
Continuing on with the music-filled week, I went to a concert last night with my parents that was great. An Iraqi (who has lived here for quite a few years) Oud player and a string quartet played and it was unlike any other music I've ever heard. The Oud player is a pretty prolific composer and all the songs played were his compositions...all the songs with the quartet were composed by him and then actually written down and arranged for string accompaniment by the cellist. I can't think of his name, otherwise I'd include it because they also have just released a cd. He (the oud player) explained each composition before they played and it was the kind of music that really communicated whatever the song was about...for instance, one song was about the date palm trees that are common in Iraq and which have apparently been cut down/destroyed in mass numbers by the years and years of war they've endured...so he wrote a song about the trees dancing and the music was so light-hearted and joyful, you really could imagine a desert full of dancing palm trees. That maybe sounds a little nutty, but I almost always escape somewhere when I am enthralled by a classical music concert, and in last night's case, I was swirled away to the places that the oud player described in his music.
All in all, music this week made my heart very happy...which is really nice since working at the American Cancer Society kinda wears me down every day...(I call people all day, every day) it's a job that I thank God for daily, but nonetheless, it's definitely inspirational not to ever become a telemarketer! In defense of the ACS, I'm not even selling anything or asking people for money, I'm just trying to invite them to walk with us in a breast cancer benefit - but I still get yelled at daily by various people I call.
No comments:
Post a Comment