Saturday, February 06, 2010

Hello Blog, It's been awhile...

Seeing that it has been almost a month since I said I would post more...ahem, clearly I am a blog slacker. So here's a rundown of the UpT life of late:

Thoughts:
1. I heard on the radio the other day part of a phone call with a mom who said she was going to start buying her 9 yr. old daughter lingerie...apparently there is a new line of lingerie coming out that is aimed at 9 - 14 yr old girls. Mind boggling, right? So the DJ, who is normally crude, obnoxious, and offensive (to me at least) was clearly in total disbelief of this mother (he said that the only time his daughter will be receiving lingerie will be when she is old enough to move out of the house and buy it herself) and just kept asking her why she thought her 9 yr old needed lingerie. The mom said that she thinks that her daughter needs to get in touch with her sexuality early - the earlier the better in fact, as in her opinion, this will lead to her daughter making better choices in the future. Huh? So opening the world of hookerdom to her elementary aged daughter will result in her daughter making wise sexual choices in the future... I feel like I'm missing something here. When I was 9 I didn't even know what sex was...it was so far outside of my realm in fact that my friends and I weren't even giggling about it yet...heck, we didn't even have the sex-ed puberty talk at school until 5th grade, which is when I was 10! I feel sad for this lady's daughter and all the pieces of her heart that she's going to give away to boys in order to get in touch with her sexuality. What is wrong with the people who are going to make this line of lingerie too? Makes me angry!

2. Ugh! On a completely different note, our pastor is Matt Chandler who is suffering through brain cancer very publicly right now. I have been very impressed with Matt and his family and the apparent level of complete ease with God's purposes and plans that they have. He's been preaching for the last few weeks and something he said early on has really impacted my heart. He said that his wife Lauren asked one of the doctors what his prognosis was time-wise and that the doctor told them the best-case and worst-case scenario, and then said something along the lines of "but you could also have a car accident on the way home and die today." Kinda puts life in perspective for me - brain cancer is a terrible thing (cancer of any sort really), but truly we have the possibility each day of dying. So what am I doing with this moment? I am completely at ease with what will be at the end of death - I know Heaven is coming - but what about life in the meantime...God has given me (us) SO much...how am I using it to further his kingdom and glory and my joy in Him?

3. On another completely different note, I love living in a house! I need to do a few more after pictures (we did the befores and durings, but I don't really have any afters), and then I will post them. Space is so nice! In lieu of house pics, here are some others that we've taken in the past few months... from our Christmas pic, from Marc's 30th birthday party, and from Thanksgiving (my parents and Marc's came to our house for Thanksgiving dinner! first one we've ever cooked!)




No comments: