Saturday, May 17, 2008

a little gushy

Tomorrow will be a year from the day Marc asked me to marry him...how crazy that it's been a year! I realize that it's a little goofy to have this internal clock of relationship "anniversaries" going on since we do now have a real Anniversary to celebrate, but every month on the 11th I think (and usually say to Marc) "We've been married another month!"...and now there's tomorrow, the engagement anniversary. I say these little things are worth celebrating. Not because I'm worried that this incredible-ness is going to end, but because I'm reminded how wonderfully blessed I've been by God everytime a reminder date comes along.

So tomorrow's reminder is for the day when my heart said "Yes! Home at last!" I'm glad we had such a short engagement too, because it's given us almost a year of being married. So many people told us to have low expectations for the first year, that it would be hell...learning to live with each other and all that. What a load of bullocks (at least for us) - it's been a year of total and utter bliss! I suppose that down the road we may have that period of time when we can't seem to see eye to eye and fight a lot...but I hope not. I know we both are trying to learn to communicate with each other now, and sometimes its hard, at least for me who shrinks from the very mention of conflict. It sure seems like God is blessing our efforts though, because every day I realize that I love Marc more than I did the day before, and every day I realize that I know better that he loves me.

That Colbie Caillat song "Tailor Made" seems about right for us...cheesy as it is to say, I think we were made for each other. Like God fitted us perfectly together, and then put us in different families and let us grow up, only to find the fit again. I know that Marc is good for me, and I think I'm good for him. To have someone tell me nearly every day that I'm hot...oh, how good it is to be thought beautiful by the one who counts. And to have someone support me in the things I dream about...like how I'm interested in cooking, but don't know much about how to make things other than the basics, so Marc got the magazine Bon Apetit, and he willingly tries my attempts at some of the foods I read about. Most have been at least edible, but the best part is that he compliments my efforts. It's fun to make food for someone who enjoys what I make. And to have a friend who is here, no matter what. When I come home crying, having had a crummy day, he's here to bring me more gently down to reality from my idealistic nest. When I'm hyper and crazy, he laughs along with me. When I want to try something new, he's there with me. Oh, it is wonderful.

If you've made it this far, sorry for the gushiness of this post. I am just sometimes overwhelmed by how good God has been, and I want to tell people. All of my tears of the last couple years have given way to complete joy this year. It's like God has said "Rest. For once, your idea of 'Good' and my idea of 'Good' align! Here is the one to fit you, who will love you as close to the way I do as a human can." How can I thank Him enough?! What a beautiful picture of His love marriage is. Oh, how beautiful!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw, you guys are great!!!!!!! i am so glad you posted this! happy day :)

emily louise said...

Sarah,
how great it is for us as well, who have witnessed it all and in the end praised God for bringing you two together! :) much love!

Stephanie said...

OH WOW! Reading your blog has made me love Jesus even more this morning, and praise Him for how perfectly He puts everything together in our lives. Thanks for sharing. -Steph Orr