Monday, July 30, 2007

Nervous? NO!!!!

Sorry for the lack of posts of late...life has been slightly crazy lately. I have T-11 days until I am married! The most common question of late is "Are you nervous?" I've discovered that there are two standard answers to my answer of "Not at all." The answer from the christian friend/aquaintance: "Well, that's good. You are allowed to be nervous you know." The answer from the random passerby (there have been a lot of these lately): "Really? Wow. But you've never lived with him, and this has been a long-distance relationship? What if you get there and you can't stand him? You don't even know what his quirks are. I'd be SO nervous, I don't think I could do that."

How do you explain that this decision is entirely (ENTIRELY) based on a whole lot of prayer? Or that it is the most sure about a decision I have EVER made. Not a doubt in my mind, not a single one. And NO, I'M NOT NERVOUS!!!!! I'm IMPATIENT! and OVERWHELMED! but not nervous.

Sorry if I sound frustrated...I have realized in the past couple days that I really am frustrated with a lot of responses that I get from people. I shouldn't be - they are just trying to help, to look out for my wellbeing. But really, I feel like I need to make a t-shirt that says:
No, I'm not 18
No, I'm not pregnant
No, this is not a rash decision
No, I didn't just meet him
No, I wasn't dating him before, but I have known (and loved) him for almost 3 years
No, as a matter of fact, I absolutely do NOT want to move to Dallas and "try it out" first
No, I do not have second thoughts
No, I am not worried that Marc is not going to be trustworthy
No, I am not worried that Marc will ever break my heart again, not even a little bit
and NO, I am NOT nervous

People are right, I am young (but seriously people, please please PLEASE stop staring at me in total disbelief when I say that I'm a teacher, not a student, and please please PLEASE stop telling me that I "look 17" when I tell you that I'm 3 weeks away from being 25, and that I'll "appreciate it when I'm older" - I'm NOT OLDER, I don't APPRECIATE it, it's getting OLD), and yes, they are also right that I am getting married fast. This whole engagement is a week shy of being 3 months. The thing is that I have loved Marc with everything I have since I met him. I have prayed almost unceasingly about him and about us since I met him. I didn't mention him to many people in Albuquerque when I moved here because I thought that God had taken him away, and I was trying desperately to kick him out of my heart, to think that it would be ok that I wasn't going to get to have him in my life. During the time I wasn't talking about him, I was still talking to God about him, crying out for help. God used that time invaluably in my life, in changing me. But he brought Marc back to me, surprise of all surprises. And Marc is better, so much better, at loving me than he was before. And I totally, and completely trust him - and that is absolutely supernatural. I can trust him because I trust God, who made him, who has shaped him, and who has given him to me. I guess that it frustrates me to hear that people are worried about this decision because it seems like they must think I'm a total idiot, or that I'm "one of those girls" that just wanted to get married so bad that she took the first guy who came along. But I have thought this through, I have reasoned and reasoned. I have so many journal pages stained with tears over lists of pros and cons and qualities I want and qualities Marc has. And ultimately I truly am basing this on trust that God has me in the palm of his hand, and he has said "Yes!" to me about this. I know that marriage is hard, and for the rest of my life. I can't wait to start working at it! Marc is the one for me, I know it, in the depths of my heart I know it.

Phew, enough kavetching. To all of you who have understood, this isn't aimed at you. I suppose it's not really aimed at anybody...I just wanted to explain I guess. And vent.

And now, for the exciting part: I'm getting MARRIED in LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's about time!

1 comment:

AVH said...

That's so exciting Sarah! This is Angela by the way, and I just wanted you to know that I think it is truly amazing that God brought the two of you back together for good. I hope you have a wonderful wedding and a blessed start to your new life together.