Hello Hello, I have a random assortment of things to say today...
First, I caught a whiff of something that smelled like Costa Rica today (to be specific, smelled like frying plantains, aka platanos) and it made me a little home sick. How is it that I still feel home sick for Costa Rica, 2 and a half years later?
Thoughts of Costa Rica made me think about how little I've traveled - in relation to the size of the world - and how many places I want to go (everywhere). I feel sad for people I've met who have never been anywhere...even recognizing that most of them don't want to go anywhere, still I feel sad because there's SO much out there! Going places outside the US puts such a different perspective on living in the US too...and I think we all need that.
Second (or third?), and entirely unrelated, I've decided that not all middle school children are hoodlums after subbing at 2 different, non-wretched mid schools this week. As I stood against the wall watching the school talent show today, I realized that, on a good day, I really like these kids. I think they're pretty much hilarious...and the funniest part is that they don't even know it. For all their attempts to be cool, these 12 and 13 year olds still have the tiniest bit of innocence and unintentional little-kid-goofiness left in them...some of them do anyway. The talent show today was complete with not just one, but two singing versions of "On My Own" (les mis...I think), a gymnastics floor routine, the sightless (due to serious hair coverage of the eyes) emo kid playing guitar, men and women's show choirs (can you call 12 and 13 year old choirs "men's" and "women's"?), a juggling act to Napoleon Dynamite's Jamiroquai song (how do you spell jamiroquai?) and of course, the ever-required garage band nirvana cover (the fastest "smells like teen spirit" I have ever heard...they were on fiii-yuh!). The men's choir sang and danced to "Blue" - which I haven't heard since my own middle school days...or maybe it was high school, but nevertheless, it's been a long long time since I heard 'blue, da ba di, da ba doo'...ha! Very entertaining.
Ok, and the highlight of my week: yesterday a kid in the english class I was subbing for drew a picture of me (my face) and wrote: Mrs. Fraser, I love science!
Ha! Such flattery, I love it!
Oh yeah, one more thing, I changed my o-fficial name on here to Sarita because I felt like it...but it's the same me (mostly at least...except I'm a little more glass half full than I was when I started this), don't get confused!
No comments:
Post a Comment