Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Hoodlums

Can I just tell you how NOT fun it is to be a subsitute teacher for devil children? Somehow these patience-tryers (aka middle schoolers) know when I'm tired and that is when they turn into horrid screaming hoodlums...
I'm tired today (can you tell)
I took a job at a school 45 minutes away from my house because it was either that or a school for delinquents (the real ones, who've been caught)
I had to keep 7th graders from killing each other (or at least from throwing things across the room) all day
I did not have fun

Here's a list of what I've learned as an official substitute going on 3 weeks now:
1) Your students will assume that, as a huera (white girl), you don't speak any spanish
2) It is pretty fun to suprise them by knowing what they've said and responding accordingly
3) The trouble arises when they go beyond your rusty knowledge of espanol (or when they go too fast)...
4) my memories of middle school as being an awful time of life don't fail me - middle school continues to be awful, despite that i'm now 23 and i don't care what other people think of me
5) How did wearing girl pants, when you're a boy, get cool? can i just say that that is the most ridiculous look...if you want tight pants, please, just buy some tight boy pants because they are made to fit you (and girl pants are not - hence why, in case you were wondering, they don't cover your butt at all, not even a little bit)
6) 8th graders are stuck, and i mean stuck, on sex - every thought, every word, every comment, every joke, etc. etc. etc.
7) 7th graders don't get sarcasm...pity
8) movies = time to scream, run around the room, throw things, be generally obnoxious for middle schoolers (as opposed to high schoolers, who actually watch and try to learn things)
9) please God, don't give me a job teaching middle school devils
10) and last, but not least, i've discovered that eyes are no longer needed...i've been amazed by the emo kids who have no eyes...or hair that hangs down to their noses and which is never, ever swept aside for the purpose of seeing things...apparently seeing is no longer necessary or even enjoyed...at least not by the boys who wear girl pants that are WAY too small

3 comments:

emily louise said...

girl pants ha ha! Please join my appropriately titled group on facebook. also, i've been wanting to call you, but have been horrendously busy with tests, and tests, and more tests, sorry excuse i know. will call soon = 1 month... :) ha ha, hopefully sooner. love, em
ps: please come visit!! (uh, just not b/t may 15-may 22, i won't be here, and that would just suck)

angie said...

Ah Sarah. I totally feel your pain having been a substitute for too long while in grad school. I must tell you, however, that sometimes the school of actual delinquents have more supervision/discipline than regular schools and can be a much more peaceful place. One of the best subbing experiences I had in Lubbock was at the Juvenile Justice Alternative Education Program site. Drill instructors are the best. :)

sarita said...

hmmm, perhaps I ought to try the delinquent school...
I guess it must be true that they wouldn't just stick me, who knows nothing about delinquency and the control of, into a wild class of students...
thanks for that Angie : )

Em B, yes it's sad but true, boys like to wear girl pants (WHY???)AND, i think i'm coming to lubbuttock the first weekend in May...maybe

M H, hi hi hi, wish we could catch up in person too!