Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Dia de Amor (de san valentin)

First, good news: I found my dog Jesse! Somebody picked him up and took him to the pound. So now he has a microchip in his neck (which kinda sounds scary and big brother-esque, but since he's a dog, who really cares) so if he runs away again, they just scan him and call us.

Second, Happy Valentine's Day friends! or Single's Appreciation Day! - whichever it is for you. Note that I say Single's APPRECIATION, not awareness...
I have been hearing A LOT lately the "Valentine's Day is a hallmark holiday" whining and I have decided that I have something to say to all you knuckleheads who say things like that (especially the guys who use that as an excuse to weasel their way out of doing anything on V day) (girls too though, you don't get out of this either):
1) Regardless of whether you have a "valentine" or not, Valentine's Day is about loving the people in your life a little bit more obviously than usual. It clearly does not have to be about romantic love only (although if there is romantic love in your life, you ought to do something about it). It is about being more purposeful about telling people that you love them.
2) I saw about 30 sec. of Tyra Banks talk show today and she said (to all the single ladies watching) that it didn't matter whether you had a valentine or not, this was all about loving yourself and being ok with being single. While I agree that we've all got to be ok with single-hood on V day, it is most definitely NOT about loving yourself. Valentine's Day is about loving OTHER PEOPLE to the very best of your ability.
3) If you're one of those whiners that roses and chocolates are too typical and hallmarkish, therefore you will not be doing anything for V day, I have oh so many choice words for you. I'll leave those out...but I will say that you should figure out how to do something not so typical for your loved one(s). For instance, the best made-me-feel-loved flowers and gift I ever received were tulips and a handwritten note. Why is it so hard to show people some extra love ONE DAY a year? Gee whiz people, this should be a good holiday that isn't about us, especially since we are loved so well all the time by God - do we not have a little extra to flow over to others?!

Whew, off the soapbox, I did want to include a thank you to all of you who have worked so hard to encourage me and to make me feel loved for the past 6 mo.... I have been unceasingly amazed by God's care of my heart through other people.

And finally, only 2 weeks (TWO WEEKS!!!) till Africa!!

No comments: