Wednesday, September 21, 2005

whew, so much to say

Ay, it's been a long time since I've had a minute to post something...but finally, I have that minute (or really, I'm just going to take that minute whether I have it or not).
First, the Africa training was incredible in many, many ways. I left feeling that God confirmed 2 things for me: 1) I absolutely, positively, 100 % am sure that M is the one I want to marry and 2) a short term trip is acceptable right now (as opposed to a longer term of a year to 2 yrs). I hope to go to Tanzania for February - I'm still waiting to hear from Rafiki whether they want me to go then or not. I have to earn about $4000...which pretty much sounds like a million. The good thing about that, is that "God ain't poor" as they say at First B. Aside from the logistical part (which is almost always interesting to a traveler like me), the really exciting part of the weekend was hearing the passion that these people have for their work. They are absolutely committed to ministering to those who need it (specifically children and widows) in every way - physical, mental, and emotional. For instance, in their childrens homes, they accept 160 orphaned children (they don't have the facilities to meet needs if there are more than that) and each child lives with 9 others in a cottage with a native mother. Each cottage acts as a family unit so the children consider each other brothers and sisters and the mother has the responsibility of loving them like a real mother would, including the disciplining that takes place. The kids attend primary school on site and this school teaches both African subjects as well as western subjects in order to allow the kids to be as well educated as possible so that they can become leaders in their countries. For example, they learn the local language as well as english, cultural music and dance as well as biology. It is the goal of Rafiki to "Turn hopeless children into godly leaders for their countries." Subjects like English are taught using the Bible and all the adults (teachers, native mothers, groundskeepers, etc.) are christians and so the children grow up hearing, seeing, and knowing the truth. Another side of Rafiki is their Vocational Schools for teenage girls and boys who cannot afford secondary school. So far they have several girls' schools and just opened up their very first boys' school. These schools are my favorite part of the work that Rafiki does in Africa! These schools go from 8 - 4 every day, so the students do not live there in the Rafiki Village like the orphans. The students are girls who have finished primary school but cannot afford secondary (uniforms, transportation, books, etc. cost money) and so are left to fend for themselves, many becoming prostitutes, beggars, thieves, etc. and who have absolutely no hope for their future. In school the girls improve their english, including spoken, read, and written, and math skills as well as various business skills (like using a fax machine, data input system, switchboard, etc.). They also learn a skill like wood carving, sewing, painting, etc. which creates products that are sold in the U.S. that support the schools. The girls also attend classes like health and hygiene (like how to not get AIDS, and what are lies and myths - one they told us about is that the common knowledge currently is that a man with AIDS will be cured if he has sex with a virgin - and they don't know any better) and cooking and social graces - all designed to allow them to get a job, support themselves, and be at ease in the business world. The girls go from being hopeless and with almost no life expectancy, to being full of hope for the future and better prepared to succeed in a society which is very tough. All of this of course is taught from a biblical world view. In each of the countries that Rafiki is in, the First Ladies have expressed interest in starting their own programs similar to these and have worked closely with Rafiki to help and support the Rafiki Villages.
The director of Rafiki, Rosemary Jensen, repeated several times to us that, as christians, we are responsible to help those who are in need. Obviously there are people everywhere in need, including here at home, but she stated that she feels a strong call towards Africa because they lack so much. For instance, the annual income in one of the countries that Rafiki is in is $91/yr! I didn't bring my statistics with me and so I'm not saying which country that is because I don't want to be wrong, but I'll post that in the next couple days. Rosemary was also very purposeful in saying that the goal of Rafiki is not evangelizing the African people - as she put it, "The Africans have been evangelized already." Instead, she feels strongly that we ought to live our lives loving people and witnessing within the relationships that we make - hence why Rafiki is dedicated to caring for the physical (a bed, clothes, nutritious food), mental (education), emotional (love from 'brothers and sisters', 'a mother', teachers, etc.), and spiritual (everything based on a biblical world view) needs of those who have nothing and no hope.
Whew, this is really long, but I get pretty fired up about it! I can't wait to go! In case you're interested in finding out more about Rafiki, the website is www.rafiki-foundation.org. I'll post more in the next few days about this I'm sure...

1 comment:

emily louise said...

hi sarah! much love, em