It just thundered so loud that a car alarm started ringing in the parking lot below my apartment! I love thunder and lightning like this! There actually was a tornado that appeared and touched down briefly last night in Flower Mound (where I work, just slightly west of where I live) and that's a little scary, but when there's no threat of tornadoes, I love thunderstorms!
The science nerd in me is so totally amazed by the way lightning works - how the clouds build up such a big negative charge that all the positive charge in the earth is pulled towards the surface and then BOOM, an enormous discharge of electricity goes between the negative and positive (opposites attract!) and that light that we see and the thunder that we hear are the exact same thing...light just travels at around 300 million meters per second, meanwhile sound travels a mere 340 meters per second... so we see lightning way before we hear it. Wow! I love it! What an artist God was when he created the universe and the physics that governs it!
2 comments:
I know, it is amazing! After most of the storm had passed I went outside and in one direction the sun was setting and the other there was a full rainbow. I went back out a few minutes later, the rainbow was gone and lightening streaked across the sky (instead of down, what causes that?) and I ran back inside! eeks
That's crazy! I think lightning streaks across for the same reason it streaks down - opposites attract, so one cloud must be negative and one must be positive... I think. I heard that the sunset after that huge storm was amazing - I didn't see it, but I can imagine!
Post a Comment