Folks, I've come to a sad (pitiful really) conclusion recently. As I was thinking I was getting good at the killer pushup/side-raiser-thing on my snazzy new Wii Fit, Marc informs me that I am doing cheater pushups. So, he shows me how correct form should be, and then shows me what I've been doing (for years, thinking I was doing pushups! geez!). As it turns out, I cannot do even 1 single stinking pushup. Starting from the ground, I cannot push myself up. Not once. Pathetic!!! Agh!!!
Alas, it seems that a lack of self control and discipline has worked its way into every aspect of my life. That is a very frustrating realization to come to. BUT, the good news, as my husband who is firmly anchored in reality reminds me, is that my lack of arm strength and my freshman 15 and my total addiction to all things full of sugar and my seeming inability to go to bed earlier so that I can wake up with enough time to read my Bible at least somewhat coherently before leaving for work with enough time that I can get there on time without bringing out the speed racer routine, are all just facts of reality. (That was a long sentence!) And, being facts of reality, they don't dictate future potential. In other words, I can do something about them. While a little bit overwhelming, this is still good news. Just because I cannot currently comfortably squeeze myself into jeans I wore a mere year ago doesn't mean that I will never be able to. And while I currently cannot do one measly pushup, that doesn't mean I never will. In fact, what a party I think I'll throw the day I can do 1 pushup! Because just a little bit of success will breed more success I'm pretty sure.
The pastor at our church has been talking lately about a verse that compares believers to farmers and it has been very convicting, and also very encouraging. The farmer does all he can to plant the seeds and pull the weeds, but at the end of the day he has to pray for rain. In other words, a changed heart is truly up to God to work in me, but there are weeds that I need to be pulling in the meantime. So, on that note, those of you who love me - keep me accountable please. Ask me if I'm waking up on time, or if I've made it to the gym, or just exactly how many cookies I've downed. I'll be working on these weeds, some of which have some mighty long roots. Fortunately for me, God will be doing the changing. What a relief!
4 comments:
I really thought your post would be about me upon reading the title alone. And I am also longing for the days of a little less reality and a lot less bottom. You ain't got nothing on me,Squinto!
good post, now I am going to go see if I can do a real push-up. I like the girly ones myself...hey they still work!
Sarah,
I really enjoy reading your blog- you are such a gifted writer-all your posts are so heartfelt. You and Marc are such an awesome couple and I think Tanner and I could learn a lot from you. Thanks for being such an awesome person.
PS
Love the title of this one....Queen rocks! And Tanner often sings this song to me regarding my derriere. :) I have the same problem fitting into last year's jeans.
Sarah,
We love you! JUst the way you are! ;)
Post a Comment